NEW BOOK: GUIDE BOOK OF MODERN UNITED STATES PROOF COIN SETS, 2ND EDITION
The E-Sylum (7/18/2010)
Whitman Publishing has released an expanded, updated second edition of David W. Langes Guide Book of Modern United States Proof Coin Sets. The 256-page book, now in full color, is available online (including here, at WhitmanBooks.com) and from bookstores and hobby dealers nationwide. It retails for $19.95.
Proofs are the highest-quality specimens available of U.S. Mint coinage. Modern sets of these coins are very popularcollectors have bought more than 38 million in the past 10 years alone. Now award-winning numismatic researcher David W. Lange has updated, revised, and expanded his groundbreaking guide book. He offers a definitive history of the U.S. Mints Proof coin sets, from the vintage period of 1936 to 1942, through the classic years of 1950 to 1964, the Special Mint Sets of 1965 to 1967, modern sets of 1968 to 1998, the 50 State Quarters® Proof sets of 1999 to 2008, and todays historically important sets with Presidential dollars and other current coins.
- 56 more pages than the first edition
- an illustrated history of Proof U.S. coins
- date-by-date analysis of each Proof set, starting with 1936, with full-color photographs
- original issue prices, values of uncertified sets, and values in several certified levels of Proof
- advice on collecting, storing, and displaying Proof coins
- a study of U.S. Mint packaging over the years
- certified coin population data
- official mintage and sales figures
- a photo gallery of earlier (18th- and 19th-century) Proofs
- close-ups of Proof coin die varieties, identified by Fivaz/Stanton number
In the foreword, Q. David Bowers writes, Lange provides information not generally available even piecemeal in other texts, and nowhere available in a single place until now.
This beautifully illustrated full-color book is bound in softcover, 256 pages, retail $19.95.