ANA DESTINATION EDUCATION 2011: CARSON CITY, NEVADA
The E-Sylum (9/5/2010)
Jay Beeton, Marketing & Education Director of the American Numismatic Association writes:
Thanks so much for running Andy Lustigs account of the ANAs Destination Education program at the Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site. So youll know, were already planning our next Destination Education program March 20-23 in Carson City, Nevada, immediately following the Sacramento Spring National Money Show. Ive attached some information on the program, although were still working on some details (such as price and lodging). I also look forward to reading any suggestions for future sites from your readers.
Mark your calendars! March 20-23, 2011 Following the ANA National Money Show in Sacramento Day one will be spent at the Nevada State Museum, formally the Carson City Mint. Lectures by authorities on all aspects of coining in Nevada will be presented.
- Fred Weinberg is scheduled to speak about mint error coins.
- Bob Nylen, Curator of History at the Nevada State Museum, will discuss the history of the Carson City Mint.
- Ken Hopple will give a demonstration of the historic Coin Press No. 1 and talk about his restoration of the cancelled coin dies found buried in the museum parking lot!
- Guy Rocha, former assistant administrator of the Nevada State Library and Archives, will speak on the history of Nevada.
- Gene Hattori, NSM Curator of Anthropology, will speak on the Chinatown gold coins found in Lovelock, Nevada.
If that isnt enough to entice you, Fred Holabird will lead a mine tour the following day in Virginia City. He will talk about the Comstock load, and make the West come alive!
Questions? Contact us ... 719-482-9849 firstname.lastname@example.org
Joe Boling writes:
Somebody should push that idea of a post-convention seminar at the Mother Mint. Guess where the ANA convention is going to be in 2012?
The ANA isn't the only numismatic organization holding seminars, so those who can't make Carson City next year have other options. -Editor
Bruce Perdue adds:
After reading about the ANA Seminar which was held after the ANA Convention I would like to point out that Central States Numismatic Society has been holding seminars at least twice a year and sometime more often. CSNS has a seminar scheduled for October in Hutchinson, Kansas. For complete information see www.centralstates.info/fallseminar.html .
We are planning a seminar in Fort Wayne in April of 2011. The seminars are only $10 for members and $20 for non members (excluding any travel or lodging expense).