David Lisot Video Library (2007)
Numismatist Bill Cowburn is an avid collector and researcher of the U.S. Trade Dollar series. Why was the Trade Dollar created? What are the key dates? What about counterfeits? Viewers will get the answers in this outstanding overview of the U.S. Trade Dollar series.
The lecture with slides presentation includes:
* reasons why the Trade dollar was created in 1873 and the changes that had occurred in America's coinage
* how developing trade in the Orient facilitated production of the Trade dollar
* designer Charles Barber and the symbolism in the design
* weight differences in the different silver dollar-sized coins
* why production of Trade dollars ceased in 1877
* examples of the types and many varieties and how to identify them
* the different stages of legal status for this coin
Speaker(s): Bill Cowburn.