A modified form of the Gros Tournois (q.v.), on which a shield of arms was substituted for the original chapel or city gate. It is common to the issues of the Counts of Berg during the fourteenth century and later, and was copied by Hermann IV of Hessen, who was Archbishop of Cologne from 1480 to 1508. See Frey, The Dated European Coinage Prior to 1501. 1914. (No. 237).
Source: Frey's Dictionary (American Journal of Numismatics, Vol. 50, 1916)